Click to toggle navigation menu.
Select a language
|

The goal is to provide students projects that engage the students in the use of live, real-world data that increases their understanding of the social impact of weather as well as improves their skills in math and science.

< Back to Search Grants

 

Weather Monitoring System to Improve Students Use of Live, Real-Time Weather Data

grant photo
School:
Seminole High School 
Subject:
Science 
Teacher:
Jerry Cantrell 
 
Mikayla Bildeau 
Students Impacted:
400 
Grade:
9-12 
Date:
September 24, 2018

0% Funded

 

 

Only $10,000.00 Needed

 

Share

Please share this page to help in fulfilling this grant.

Facebook Twitter email

Goal

The goal is to provide students projects that engage the students in the use of live, real-world data that increases their understanding of the social impact of weather as well as improves their skills in math and science. 

 

What will be done with my students

The funds will be used to purchase a WeatherSTEM platform. This platform promotes the use of live, real-world data as well as engages the students to become data literate. The students will engage with the community through weather system tracking, lightening monitoring, use meteorological equipment to measure conditions at/above/below user-defined thresholds, trigger alerts based on forecast conditions, and broadcast to their own website that is open to the public. 

 

Benefits to my students

The students will actively engage in weather related measurements. This engagement will increase their use of factual data as well as increase their data literacy. Students will become more cognizant of weather on Earth as well as actively engage in measuring and predicting weather (to include severe weather). This engagement will lead them to discover and increase their knowledge regarding how solar energy impacts all weather systems, the Earth's Energy Balance and the impact it has on weather, they will become literate in how the Earth's oceans impact the atmosphere and agriculture, how weather has impacted societies over time, and the impact that changes in weather will have on climates and societies. The WeatherSTEM system allows access to many data sources throughout Pinellas County Schools as well as improves opportunities for students to engage with scientific data, data literacy, and learning through projects. 

 

Describe the Students

The students are grades 9 - 12. There is 19% minority with an overall graduation rate of 97%. Math proficiency is 32% and reading proficiency is 44%. Students receiving free (29%) and reduced lunches (4%) total 33%. Based on Pinellas County Data, the student body is approximately 6% English language learners, 13% with disabilities, and 5% gifted learners. 

 

Budget Narrative

The $5000 list for the WeatherSTEM platform is accurate. This includes installation, setup, and curriculum support. The $1000 is estimated for each computer requested. The funds will be used to purchase the WeatherSTEM platform first. Any additional funds will be used to purchase computers and meteorology manipulatives. 

 

Items

# Item Cost
1 WeatherSTEM Application $5,000.00
2 Computer $1,000.00
3 Computer $1,000.00
4 Computer $1,000.00
5 Computer $1,000.00
6 Computer $1,000.00
  Total: $10,000.00

0% Funded

 

 

Only $10,000.00 Needed

 

Share

Please share this page to help in fulfilling this grant.

Facebook Twitter email

 

Special Thanks to Our Presenting Partners