Supporters Programs Calendar Giving Fund Raising Events

Our goal is to provide our students with an up to date greenhouse that allows them to learn more about horticulture, and specifically hydroponics. With the assistance of our local IFAS Master Gardeners, we will teach our students about growing hydroponically in both a commercial way and a fiscally friendly way. This will enable students to take the knowledge that they glean home and assist their families in urban gardening.

< Back to Search Grants

 

Growing Dreams, Harvesting the Future

grant photo
School:
Pine Ridge High 
Subject:
Career & Technical Education 
Teacher:
Sheri Potter 
 
Cera Troy and Joe Thomas 
Students Impacted:
400 
Grade:
9-12 
Date:
August 29, 2017

Investor

Thank you to the following investor for funding this grant.

 

Florida Hospital - $878.47

 

Goal

Our goal is to provide our students with an up to date greenhouse that allows them to learn more about horticulture, and specifically hydroponics. With the assistance of our local IFAS Master Gardeners, we will teach our students about growing hydroponically in both a commercial way and a fiscally friendly way. This will enable students to take the knowledge that they glean home and assist their families in urban gardening. 

 

What will be done with my students

Our students will learn what is necessary in order to build and maintain a fully functional greenhouse. We are working in conjuction with our Manufacturing Academy to ensure that the fan is installed properly and is fully operational. From there, our agriculture students will begin working with our local IFAS Master Gardener and agriculture teachers to determine what vegetables they would like to grow in our hydroponic gardens. This will enable students to learn kinesthetically and to take the knowledge that they ascertain home with them and promote urban gardening through the use of affordable hydroponics. 

 

Benefits to my students

The benefits to the students will be great. First and foremost, in a society where land is quickly being utilized due to urban sprawl, our urban student population will have the opportunity to learn about creating a hydroponics garden in their own backyard. As agriculture Foundations students, they learn that only 2% of the population feeds the other 98%. This greenhouse and hydroponic system will empower our students to do something for their communities and families. In addition, our students will gain a better understanding of soils, nutrients, growing times, and plant diseases.  

 

Budget Narrative

This budget will cover one fan and shutter for our greenhouse. Throughout this project, Pine Ridge agriculture and manufacturing students will have amazing opportunities to be further educated about working in conjunction with one another to achieve a common goal. 

 

Items

# Item Cost
1 36" Greenhouse Fan $696.00
2 Single Panel Shutter $132.47
3 Hardware for installation $50.00
  Total: $878.47

Share

Please share this page to help in fulfilling this grant.

Facebook Twitter email

 

Special Thanks to Our Presenting Partners

FUTURES Foundation for Volusia County Schools

License 4 Learning

Heart of Volusia, Inc.

Duke-Energy

SGM Engineering

Florida Health Care Plans & Florida Blue

Florida Power & Light

Florida Hospital

SunTrust Foundation

Daytona International Auto Mall

Wyotech

ECMC Foundation

Cici & Hyatt Brown